The piece of jewelry that most people refer to as the "fraternity pin," is actually the badge of Delta Sigma Phi. The first Fraternity badge was depicted in an engraving in the 1905 Penn State Yearbook. The badge was diamond-shaped and featured the name of the Fraternity vertically written in Greek letters. It was depicted with jewels surrounding the outer edge.
The current badge, worn only by members, is a gold and black diamond shaped pin decorated with a tiny reproduction of the pledge emblem, the Sphinx, and the letters of Delta Sigma Phi. It is worn over the heart on a shirt or sweater and beneath a coat, but never on a coat lapel. It is properly positioned with the upper apex slanting toward the left shoulder and the lower apex toward the right hip. Badge guards are available indicating a member’s chapter.
Undergraduates are not permitted to wear jeweled badges. Only alumni, wives, and sweethearts may wear jeweled badges. If a brother wishes to give a reproduction of the badge to his wife or sweetheart, he must give her a jeweled badge.
The Pledge Pin
The pledge pin is circular with a white enameled background and a gold border. An equilateral triangle in green is placed so that the points touch the gold border and from the points to the center of the triangle are three gold lines.
Chapters should furnish new members with a pledge pin at the formal pledging ceremony. It is worn on the left coat lapel or in a similar position on a sweater or shirt if no coat is worn. It should be worn at all times during the pledging period, except with informal attire such as a t-shirt.
Although initiated brothers do not wear the actual pledge pin, the pledge emblem is worn by every brother of the Fraternity, as it is incorporated on the badge of Delta Sigma Phi. When you made your pledge to Delta Sigma Phi, it was for life. This is why the pledge emblem is a part of the badge: to always remind you of your lifetime pledge to our brotherhood.
The Coat of Arms
The present Coat of Arms is the second adopted by the Fraternity and was authorized at the 1921 Convention in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was designed by Robert Ashley, Washington & Lee ‘07, who served the Fraternity as National President and Editor of The Carnation.
The Coat of Arms consists of a shield bearing a field of green. The upper portion of the shield is charged with three smaller shields bearing, from left to right, a lute, a knot, and lamp. The lower portion of the shield contains a pyramid. The central portion of the shield bears a silver chevron with a small shield displaying a book and the year "1899". On each side of the shield are mantlings of purple. Beneath the shield is a streamer bearing the words "Delta Sigma Phi" in Greek. At the crest of the shield is the Sphinx. Affixed to the breast of the Sphinx, and outstretched over the shield, are scarabaeus wings.
Coats of Arms were originally emblems of families, but came to be used by cities, states, and institutions. The correct word is "Coat of Arms." The word "crest" describes only the part of the Coat of Arms that is at the top, above the shield. Technically, the crest on the Delta Sigma Phi Coat of Arms is the Sphinx.
Nile Green and white, the colors of the Fraternity, are depicted in most of our insignia, emblems and jewelry. The Fraternity’s colors were adopted in 1905.
The first official flag of Delta Sigma Phi was adopted in 1926. The current form of the flag was adopted in 1950. It consists of a Nile green field with white features depicting the pledge emblem in the field and the Greek letters Delta Sigma Phi running diagonally, top to bottom, on the outer half.
The Fraternity Seal
The seal of Delta Sigma Phi is one of the earliest emblems of the Fraternity. It appeared on charters and official documents prior to 1912.
The great seal of the Fraternity is a circle bearing a triangle. The triangle is divided into three smaller triangles in the same manner as the pledge emblem. Each of the three smaller triangles contains one of the emblems: the lamp, the lute, and the Gordian knot. Around the edge of the circle are the words "inc’pt Washington D.C. 1929." The circle bears the words "sigillum fraternitatis" which means "seal of the Fraternity," and the Greek-letters Delta Sigma Phi.
The Fraternity Flower
The flower of the Fraternity is the white carnation. Like our official colors, this flower has been used since 1905.
The Use of Fraternity Symbols
The emblems and insignia of Delta Sigma Phi represent our Fraternity in the eyes of all members and should be treated with dignity and respect. By law, the national Fraternity has exclusive right to reproduce the Coat of Arms and other insignia as registered trademarks of Delta Sigma Phi. As a result, all of the jewelry, stationary, and other effects depicting these emblems are supplied by specially authorized suppliers under license to the Fraternity. Copyright laws prevent the reproduction of these items by others without explicit approval of the Grand Council. It is the duty of each member to report any unauthorized use of the coat-of-arms or other insignia to the Fraternity Headquarters.