Brothers, Advisors, and Volunteers –
Over the past month, we have learned about COVID-19 and the impact it is having within our communities. On behalf of our Grand Council, and the National Headquarters staff, please know that Delta Sigma Phi is committed to supporting each of our members and chapters during this time. Below you will find additional chapter recommendations on operations and functions.
- Please take advantage of the remote coaching services offered by our office. Your Chapter Support Coordinator is able to host video and phone meetings with your chapter officers and advisors throughout the week. Please reach out to your Chapter Support Coordinator to schedule a meeting today (if you are not already meeting regularly).
- Follow the recommendations made by your educational institution on regular gatherings for all registered student organizations.
- If your school recommends canceling all in-person meetings/gatherings, please reach out to our office to discuss running remote meetings or gaining access to our remote video conference software. We also recommend reading this article that highlights the best way to engage remote meetings.
ALUMNI AND VOLUNTEERS
- Engage with your chapter executive board to see what plans they have in place for the remainder of the semester. For example, could any brotherhood, social, or service events need to be rescheduled due to the impact of COVID-19?
- Identify any questions, concerns or resources they have and let Headquarters know how we can help at this time.
- If you maintain housing, contact your local institution to learn about policies and procedures that might affect access, resources, and support.
- Begin to develop a plan, should the institution move to online learning, to ensure your living space and chapter members are safe, secure, and adequately accommodated.
- In the case that an individual within one of your housing facilities is feeling ill and/or is diagnosed with COVID-19, follow the recommendations made by your educational institution immediately for next steps.
- We ask that all Alumni Corporation Board officers communicate with the host institution to learn more about any precautionary measures or steps that should be taken.
- We believe 95% percent of chapters have completed their recruitment during this time, however, 70%, of chapters have reported new members. Please submit your new member report so we can ensure new members have access to member emails such as the memo you are reading today.
- If you have not yet completed and/or are looking to conduct a second round of recruitment this semester, please make sure you are coordinating with your Fraternity and Sorority Life Advisor and taking all precautionary measures for events.
NEW MEMBER EDUCATION
- Many of you are in the middle of your new member education process. We ask that you please review your New Member Education Facilitators Guide and:
- Identify any opportunity for remote learning for new member meetings that would traditionally take place in-person. Online modules that new members would complete in The LAMP can be found here.
- Limit the amount of events where large numbers of members and guests might gather.
- If your institution moves to online learning for the remainder of the semester, please notify the Headquarters Staff through your Chapter Support Coordinator so we can adjust expectations accordingly.
- Reminder, Delta Sigma Phi created a four and six week online new member education program that you can use to easily guide your process.
- For any questions regarding modifying your new member educational program virtually, please contact our Director of Educational Initiatives, Kristin Fouts, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are asking all chapters to revisit their new member plan and have all initiations completed by March 31st, 2020 if not sooner.
- Many of you will soon be approaching initiation for your spring new member class. At this time, we ask that you refrain from using the informal portion of the Ritual.
- Please conduct the Formal Ritual Process only that begins on page 74 of your Ritual book (2017 edition).
- Please follow the recommendations made by your educational institution on social engagements, philanthropic events, fundraising events, and gatherings (including fraternity/sorority formals) for all registered student organizations.
- If your school recommends canceling all formal meetings/gatherings, please reach out to Headquarters to discuss access to our remote video conference software.